Sunday, October 11, 2009

It's All in the Grip

Ken gave me a great book to read. Based on the Movie is the first novel by Billy Taylor and it is the story about a grip, Bobby Conlon, on the set of a feature film and all of the terrible and wonderful things that happen to him in the process of trying to help get this movie done. I LOVED the book. Mr. Taylor really knows how to tell a story. Granted, if I was given this book a couple years ago, I would have been lost in all the film production lingo. He gives some brief explanations of some of the terminology, but this book was written for filmmakers and people who help make film possible. What do I mean by film lingo? For instance, he'll lead some of the chapters with a joke. Here's an example:

What's the difference between a PA and a roll of gaffer's tape?

You can't make the roll of gaffer's tape cry.


If you know what a PA and gaffer's tape is, that joke is HILARIOUS. I mean laugh out loud funny. Through the process of osmosis I've learned what a PA and what gaffer's tape is. In fact, I've been a PA once or twice, and I've even used gaffer's tape. Thanks so much Ken for the complimentary Full Sail education. ;-)

The other thing I loved about the book is it tells the story of someone who lived for movies. To the main character, Bobby, every definition of the word 'happy' had to involve movies in some fashion. He was a grip for a lot of years, but he always aspired to be a writer/director (even though he's never written a screenplay). Reading it has injected my spirit with a sense of creative enthusiasm. I don't know when I decided to be a director. I'm pretty sure Ken made the decision for me and pointed me in the right direction, but once you've occupied the chair it is like a drug and I'm in constant need of a fix. There will be plenty of opportunities to score some primo stuff here in the near future. You all need to keep a look out.

Think I'm kidding? Below is a picture of Ken's camera. The camera Cloudy Logic Productions will be using to bring visual bliss to as many audience members as possible. Take a good look at it:



I DARE any of you to say we don't take this sh*t serious.

0 comments:

Post a Comment