Wednesday, September 9, 2009

E Pluribus Unum

One of the many thoughts you entertain when you're 11 years old is what you're going to be when you grow up. For me, the last thing I thought I was going to be was a computer geek and father. I wanted to be a fighter pilot or an astronaut. I especially wanted to be the latter because I figured the closer I got to space, the better chance I would have at meeting E.T. (the movie had come out that year and I admit crying when I saw it, but my parents made everything better by getting me a bag of Reece's Pieces). I knew I could be anything I wanted...except for President of the United States. Sure, I'd say I wanted to be President, but for a minority that wasn't a realistic possibility. At least not back in the early 80's.

My children grow up in a different age. Now, there truly is no limit to their ambitions for the future and all of them are realistic...including becoming President. As a parent, there is a very real emotion with that revelation and I'm very fortunate to be able to experience it on a personal level.

I asked Jemara if she watched President Obama's speech to our nation's schools and she gave me a look of ignorance. She had no clue what I was talking about. Thinking she was only kidding with me, I repeated the question. She answered with the same look of, "What are you talking about old man?" I asked her the question again and again, rewording it each time, with the hope she misunderstood me. Each time, she said, "No." She even reworded her answers. "Nope." "Nuh-uh." "Ne-ga-tive." And with each response, I became even more frustrated.

Jemara's school is part of Florida's Orange County Public School system. I have nothing against public school. Being a military brat, I am a product of a version of it (Department of Defense Dependent Schools - DoDDS) and I turned out okay...mostly. Jordan went to Orange County Public Schools for all of his American education (we were in the UK for kindergarten through 2nd grade), and he is a very smart, very well-mannered young adult. So, I have nothing against a public education system. It isn't perfect, but proper involvement by parents helps to subsidize where the system is lacking.

I do have a problem when a public school, funded by tax and government dollars, decides to not air a televised message from the leader of our nation. Period. My daughter wasn't shown our President's message, so I asked her if she wanted to watch it. She did and she sat through all 15+ minutes of it and really paid attention. One of the things she said was, "Dad, you've told me some of those things." That made me smile. Not just to be compared to the President, but also because I think he succeeded in what he was trying to achieve in the speech. Not only talk to our children as their President, but also as a concerned parent. Kudos, President Obama on a job well done.

0 comments:

Post a Comment